This salad is a perfect for picnics.
Don't tell anyone this... on days when I'm feeling guilty about what I had for lunch (or dinner yesterday), I have a big bowl of these beans for dinner. The combination of the parmesan, basil, shallots, and balsamic give these beans such an amazing flavor.
Don't tell anyone this either, but I can eat them like French fries. They are pretty addictive. You won't hear me say that very often about vegetables.
My husband had been religious about consuming the "recommended daily allowance" of vegetables, and he is kind of sick of beans. I sort of have to say "there's a green bean salad in the garage fridge if you're interested. You don't have to have any, but if you need a vegetable, it's pretty good....." and then leave it at that.... well, he totally loved it.
Green Bean Salad with Basil, Parmesan, Shallots, and Balsamic
24 ounces of fresh green beans, cut into 2 inch to 3 inch pieces
3 T salt
2/3 C thinly sliced shallots
3/4 C roughly shredded fresh basil leaves
4 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Salt to taste (I don't add any)
Freshly ground pepper to taste (I add about a tsp)
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Bring a four quart pot of water to a boil and add the salt.
- Add the beans and continue to cook on high for about two minutes. Test one bean to see that it is cooked through but still crispy. If the bean is too tough, cook for one minute more.
- Drain the beans into a colander, rinse with cold water, and dump them into the bowl of ice water.
- Once the beans are cold, drain them in a colander, and place them into a large bowl.
- Add the shallots and the basil.
- Pour in the olive oil and toss.
- Add the balsamic, parmesan, and a few grinds of pepper, and toss. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately, or keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
I am participating in Eating the Alphabet Healthy Recipe Challenge hosted by Brenda of Meal Planning Magic. The purpose is to share and collect new recipe ideas with each other that feature fruits, vegetables, grains or legumes starting with different letters of the alphabet each month. This month's letters are G and H. Bloggers, if you would like to join in, sign up here.