These barbecue beef sliders are so easy to make and the beef makes excellent leftovers.
The beef is braised for about three hours in barbecue sauce, shredded, and then piled onto slider sized buns (I used these rolls and they were excellent with this beef). This recipe makes about 24 mini sandwiches.
The beef can be made a day in advance and reheated for serving.
Barbecue Beef Sliders
1 T olive oil
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
1 28 ounce whole tomatoes
1 18 ounce bottle of barbecue sauce (I used Bulls Eye)
3 pound chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
24 slider buns
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and saute about five minutes on medium.
- Add the tomatoes and break them up in the pot. Pour in the barbecue sauce and simmer on medium for 10 minutes.
- Add the beef, cover, and simmer on low, stirring every once in awhile, for about 3 hours.
- Remove the meat from the dutch oven and shred it into small pieces with two forks, discarding any extra fat. Cover with foil and set it aside.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce it until thick, stirring regularly.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the beef back into the sauce and heat on low until the beef is thoroughly warmed. Add pepper to taste.
- Serve on slider buns.
One of my all-time favorite food blogs is Simply Recipes by Elise Bauer. Each post is simply that... a short narrative, a recipe, and usually one gorgeous photo of the finished dish. I am amazed at how regularly she posts new recipes and I've never been disappointed with any of the ones that I have tried. This recipe has been slightly adapted from Simply Recipes.