Haricot vert is simply the French translation for green beans. French string beans are skinnier than regular green beans, and they are so tender. To get them just "tender-crisp," you only need to cook them for just one minute, and then plunge them into ice water to stop the cooking process.
These beans are tossed with a homemade (once you've tried this dressing, you'll never buy pre-made dressing again) Dijon mustard vinaigrette. Finally, the beans are generously sprinkled with fresh dill.
This salad can be made ahead of time and freshened with a bit more dressing. This salad is so perfect for a hot day, and it takes no time at all to prepare. Elegant, easy, and healthy.
Haricot Vert Salad Recipe
1 T salt
1 pound French string beans, both ends cut off
2 T Dijon mustard
2 T white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
2 T minced fresh dill
- Prepare a large bowl with ice water and place a colander in the sink.
- Fill a 4 quart sauce pan with water and bring it to a boil. Add the salt and the beans and cook for about one minute, until the beans are "crisp-tender."
- Drain the beans in the colander and then plunge them into the ice water. Leave them there until they are cold. Once they are cold, drain them through the colander and return them to the bowl.
- In the mean time, whisk the mustard, vinegar, pepper, and oil together.
- Toss the beans with just enough of the dressing to coat them. You will have a lot of leftover dressing to happily use later.
- Add the dill, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Barefoot Contessa, How Easy Is That?: Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips.