I took these Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Sugar Cookies to work and they did not last long!
These cookies are pretty easy to make, and when you add sprinkles... well.. sprinkles make everything better!
These cookies are so fun to make with kids, who love to add the sprinkles to the freshly dipped cookies.
The chocolate flavor is enhanced with a little bit of espresso, and the flavor is pretty "grown up" and not too sweet! I used a combination of black cocoa and Dutch process cocoa to get this dark color, but feel free to use all Dutch process cocoa.
Bookmark this recipe for when you need a delicious and festive treat that is pretty easy peasy. I promise, everyone will love them.
This month, the Fantastical Food Fight is all about chocolate covered treats. After the recipe, be sure to check out the rest of the recipes!
Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 cup (149 grams) sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 42 grams Dutch process cocoa
- 2 1/4 cups (269 grams) unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp shortening or one tablespoon Paramount Crystals
- Beat the sugar, butter, baking powder, vanilla, espresso, and salt until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa and flour. Add it to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough in half and roll it out between two sheets of parchment or wax paper to 1/4 inch thick. Using a dough scraper, bench knife, or chef's knife, cut the dough into 1 inch by 2 1/2 inch bars. Gather up any scraps, and reroll the dough. Bake the bars, one sheet at a time, for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely on the baking sheet.
- In a microwave, melt the chocolate chips on medium in 30 second bursts until just melted. Stir in the shortening or crystals.
- Dip the cooled cookies in the melted chocolate, place them back on the baking sheet, and add sprinkles!