According to legend, the Sidecar cocktail was created by a bartender at Harry's New York Bar in Paris during World War I, after the customer for whom it was invented rode up on a motorcycle. This cocktail was supposed to complement the bike.
This cocktail is a mix of cognac, orange and cognac liqueur, and lemon juice topped with brandy soaked dried cherries. While using VS cognac is fine, I recommend using a quality orange liqueur instead of triple sec. I used sparkling sugar for the sugar rim, but regular granulated sugar is fine.
The dried cherries are soaked in brandy for about an hour prior to preparing the drink. The cocktail can be serve straight up or over ice.
Sidecar Cocktail with Dried Cherries
Makes two cocktails
Adapted from Ina Garten
Adapted from Ina Garten
4-6 dried cherries
3 ounces cognac
Sparkling or granulated sugar
1 1/2 ounces orange and cognac liqueur
1 1/2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- About an hour before making the cocktail, soak the dried cherries in the cognac.
- Rub a lemon wedge on the rim of a cocktail glass.
- Place sugar on a plate and twist the rim of the cocktail glass through it to coat with sugar.
- In an ice filled cocktail shaker, drain the cognac and skewer the cherries.
- Add the orange liqueur and lemon juice.
- Shake for at least half a minute and strain into the cocktail glasses (up or over ice).
- Top with the skewered cherries.
Other Fabulous Bloggers Mixing It Up with Us for Cocktail Day:
- Pomegranate Party Punch by Cravings of a Lunatic
- White Cosmopolitans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hot Buttered Chocolate Rum by Cookistry
- Bacon Jalapeno Bloody Mary by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Blood Orange Old Fashioned by Kelly Bakes
- Caipirinhas by Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Martini by Hungry Couple
- Chocolate Cupcake Cocktail by JavaCupcake
- Ciderhouse Whiskey by From the Bookshelf
- Citrus Cranberry Punch by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Coconut-Key Lime Pie Martini by Home Cooking Memories
- Frosty Lemondrop Martini by The Hopeless Housewife
- Egyptian Martini by Cooking In Stilettos
- Espresso Martini by Liv Life
- Frozen Marshmallow Mudslide by 365 Days of Baking & More
- Ginger Raspberry Fizzy by Try Anything Once
- Iced Cake Martini by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Le Jardinier by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Mandarin Mulled Wine by Food Babbles
- Meyer Lemon Rosemary Gin Fizz by Crumb
- Muddled Rosemary and Pineapple Cocktail by My Catholic Kitchen
- Nutella Martini by The Pink Flour
- Peach Sparkler by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pineapple Margarita by Miss in the Kitchen
- Pomegranate Orange Spritzer by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Safe Sex on the Beach by Mom's Test Kitchen
- Side Car with Dried Cherries by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Winter Fruit White Wine Sangria by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Pie Moonshine by Lola's Kitchen