This Bok Choy with Pancetta recipe, according to Grace Young, was created by a Chinese expat working in Paris who could not find Chinese Yunnan ham.
What is pancetta? It's Italian bacon (cured pork belly). You'll need to find whole pancetta that is not already thinly sliced, so you can cut it into a 1/4 inch dice.
It's time for Wok Wednesdays again, and this week we are making Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Pancetta on page 226 of Grace Young's Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories.
You don't have to be a blogger to join the group. Just join our Facebook page to view fabulous photos and learn amazing tips for stir-frying. When I first started on this journey, I had no idea what I was doing, but with the help of the group and Grace Young (who is a member of the group and always willing to answer questions), I feel like I can hold my own, as long as I have a copy of one of her books open on the kitchen counter.
Things I have learned:
- The importance of mis en place, or else your kitchen will look like a hurricane hit it.
- How to make the BEST popcorn in the world in a wok.
- How to keep a wok rust free.
- How to buy ingredients in an Asian grocery store (show photos from the book, and when in doubt, post photos that you've just taken in the store to the FB page... someone is bound to answer!)
- That I can actually cook eggs in the wok without them sticking.
- All about the Chinese diaspora and the stir-fries that were created by mixing the foods of different cultures.
- What Lingham's Chilli sauce (they actually offered to send me some), and Matouk's Calypso Sauce are.
- That fish sauce may be unpleasant smelling in the bottle, but it adds an amazing flavor.
- That I love lemon grass.
- That this stir fried bok choy is one of the most delicious vegetables ever!
Bok choy, pancetta, ginger, garlic, soy, chicken broth, and a bit of salt and sugar..... remarkable.
The bok choy is "crisp tender," and the sauce, while not overwhelming, adds such a rich flavor. So good and so tasty. Plus, you get leftover pancetta!