These crab cakes are pretty much mostly crab with just enough egg, spices, and bread crumbs to hold them together. I like them by themselves with a splash of lemon, but they also are great for crab cake sliders.
These crab cakes are about 1 inch by 2 inches. I serve them with small plates and demitasse forks (the tiny forks make the cakes last longer). I also love to serve them on top of Asian slaw.
The crab cakes are mixed, chilled, shaped, and then pan fried until browned. If you make them advance, they can be reheated in a hot oven for a few minutes.
A creamy ranch sauce, a Thai hot sauce, or an avocado sauce would also be fantastic with these crab cakes. Party on!
Mini Maryland Crab Cakes
Adapted from Fine Cooking Issue 99
Makes 12 mini crab cakes
1 lb jumbo lump crabmeat
1 large egg
1/4 C mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp crab boil seasoning such as Old Bay
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 1/4 C soft fresh bread crumbs
1 T chopped fresh parsley
2 T unsalted butter
1 T olive oil
- Drain the crab in a strainer to remove any extra liquid. pick through it for any shells if necessary.
- Place the crab in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Old Bay, lemon juice, Worstestershire sauce, and salt.
- Pour the liquid over the crab and mix lightly.
- Add the bread crumbs and parsley and mix with your hands lightly. Do not over mix.
- Cover and chill the mixture for about 2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into 1 inch thick rounds.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the crab cakes and sear on one side for 4 minutes, until browned.
- Flip the cakes over, reduce the heat to medium low, and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Visit all the other Appetizer Week participants for more Football Munching Temptations:
OXO. We are so happy they joined us today. OXO is dedicated to providing innovative consumer products that make everyday living easier. Their tools are designed with everyone in mind. They are not only efficient but they are also comfortable to use. As food bloggers, we spend a ton of time in the kitchen. We need our tools to not only stand the test of time, but to be as user-friendly as possible. OXO tools meet all those requirements. You can follow OXO on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and Instagram. Today's OXO Prize Pack valued at over $256 includes:
- 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer
- 4 Piece Mini Measuring Beaker Set
- Citrus Juicer
- Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer
- 2 Cup Angled Measuring Cup
- 6 Piece Measuring Cup Set in Black
- 6 Piece Measuring Spoon Set in Black
- 3 Piece Large Bowl and Colander Set in Red
- Garlic Press
- Silicone Pastry Brush
- Utility Cutting Board in Red
- Pop Container Big Square in 4.0 Quart Size
- Pop Scoop
- Oil Stopper/Pourer
- Pastry Scraper/Chopper
- Coarse Hand-Held Grater
- Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
- 12 inch Silicone Tongs
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by OXO. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***a Rafflecopter giveaway