These tropical pork and pineapple kebabs were a huge success in our house. The pork was flavorful and juicy, and the vegetables were "tender crisp."
It's Secret Recipe Club reveal day! Each month we are assigned a food blog from which to select a recipe to make. This month, I was assigned Bean of Without Adornment. She is the cutest chemical engineer I've ever "met." She is an amazing photographer, and, her blog is perfect for those who looking for gluten and other allergen free recipes.
I chose these Tropical Pork Pineapple Kebabs from her blog because I loved the tropical theme in February. When the winter blahs hit, take a tropical food "vacation." Her post also includes a great strawberry daiquiri and, of course, paper umbrellas!
Her original recipe included mushrooms. I substituted onion slices instead. Nice to meet you Bean!
Tropical Pork and Pineapple Kebabs
3 C pineapple juice
1/3 C olive oil
3 T brown sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 small pineapple, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
1 sweet or brown onion, cut into rough 1 inch squares
2 T cornstarch dissolved in 2 T water
- Fill a zip lock bag with the pineapple juice, olive oil, sugar, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Close the bag and shake it to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the pork and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
- If you are using wooden skewers (I used metal), soak them in water for at least a half an hour.
- Place the pork, pineapple, pepper, and a onion slices alternatively on the skewers.
- Place the skewers on a broiler pan and preheat the oven to broil with the rack placed about 6 to 8 inches below the broiler.
- Pour the marinade into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the dissolved cornstarch and reduce the marinade until thickened.
- Brush the sauce over the skewers and place the pan under the broiler and broil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, turn the skewers over, brush with more sauce, and return the pan to the oven for another 5 minutes.