These slow cooker Asian beef short ribs were "melt-in-you-mouth" tender and flavorful. The beef ribs are braised in hoisin sauce, chicken broth, chili garlic sauce, and scallions. To finish these short ribs, just skim the fat from the resulting sauce, and pour the sauce over the ribs, serve with rice, and garnish with green onions. To separate the fat from the sauce, I really love this gadget.
This is the perfect easy slow cooker company dinner. If you have a rice cooker, it's even easier. The ribs are amazing fresh from the slow cooker, and just as good the next day. According to Mr. Kitchen, this dish is delicious. I would agree.
Slow Cooker Asian Beef Short Ribs
1/4 C chicken broth
3/4 C hoisin sauce
3 scallions, thinly sliced and the white parts separated and minced
2 T chili garlic sauce
1 T instant tapioca
5 pounds bone in short ribs, trimmed of fat and with the silver skin removed.
Salt and pepper
- Combine the broth, hoisin sauce, the white parts of the scallions, garlic sauce, and tapioca. Add the mixture to a 6 to 7 quart slow cooker.
- Salt and pepper the trimmed short ribs and add them to the slow cooker so that the bones are vertical and the ribs are evenly nestled into the sauce.
- Cook on low 9 to 10 hours, or on high 6 to 7 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the slow cooker and place them on a serving platter. Tent with foil for at least 5 minutes.
- Skim the fat from the remaining sauce.
- Serve the ribs and sauce over rice and garnish with the green parts of the scallions.
Slightly adapted from The Make Ahead Cook.