Do you like your sugar cookies crispy or chewy? I like both, but when I think of the traditional sugar cookie, I always think "chewy" and coated in sparkling sugar.
I think these cookies are perfect for Santa's cookie plate!
These are really easy to make too. You can pretty much have fresh and chewy sugar cookies within an hour.
Crackly on top, kind of crispy on the edges, and chewy in the middle. In my mind, the epitome of the perfect sugar cookie.
Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe
Makes about 36 cookies. Adapted from King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion. They've just added a gluten free chapter.
3/4 cups (6 ounces) unsalted butter
3/4 cups (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (4 ounces) brown sugar
1/4 cup (2 3/4 ounces by weight) corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup sparkling, sanding, or granulated sugar to coat the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugars, corn syrup, vanilla, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and egg. Add the flour, and mix on low until just combined.
- Fill a small bowl with the sanding sugar.
- Using a tablespoon cookie scoop or a tablespoon, scoop out the dough and roll it in the sugar. Place the dough on the baking sheet. You should be able to fit twelve cookies on each baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for 10 minutes. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Fix a plate for Santa.
The #ChristmasWeek Amazon Gift Card giveaway is open to U.S. and Canada readers. The giveaway will run from December 7, 2015 to December 26, 2015. Winners must be 18 years of age or older. Winners will be notified by email.
Recipes from Day 3 of Christmas Week! Please visit all our talented participants:
- Nutella Ganache from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dark Chocolate Turtle Cups from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Holiday Marshmallow Oreo Santa's Hats from Desserts Required
- Cranberry Gin Fizz from Poet in the Pantry
- Peppermint Mocha Fudge from The Redhead Baker
- Petit Pains au Chocolat aux Amandes (Petite Chocolate Almond Croissants) from Pineapple and Coconut
- Salted Cashew Caramels from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Hazelnut Crescents from Amee's Savory Dish
- Bacon Butter Toffee from Comfortably Domestic
- Grandma's Scottish Shortbread from Farm Fresh Feasts
- OREO Snowball Cookies from Flour On My Face
- Holiday Triple Chocolate Bark from Mother Would Know
- Classic Chocolate Crinkles from Daily Appetite
- Orange Cardamom Slice and Bake Cookies from Savory Experiments
- Homemade Maple Candy from Cooking In Stilettos
- Cranberry Cherry Spice Cake Trifle from Food Babbles
- Chocolate Walnut Cranberry Pie from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- No Bake Peppermint Oreo Cheesecake from Big Bear's Wife
- Cream Puffs with Cranberry Orange Sauce from Everyday Southwest
- Mini No Bake Eggnog Cheesecake from From Gate to Plate
- Chewy Sugar Cookies from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pignolata-Italian Honey Balls from Savoring Italy
- Caramel Chocolate Cups with Peppermint Chips from Dixie Chik Cooks
- Maple Gingerbread Marshmallows from The Tomato Tart