Just tried a new recipe. This is good. Yes. Really good. Really really good. So... would I make any changes? Next time I might throw in some broccoli at the same time as the carrots. I'd also sprinkle the dish with roasted sesame seeds. That's just how I roll. Not really, but I've always wanted to say "that's just how I roll." I don't really "roll."
This recipe is from my friends Deirdre and Paul who know how to rock a slow cooker. Check out their food blog for some terrific slow cooker recipes (as well as amazing beef tenderloin recipes... I'm going to be working my way through those recipes as well).
Slow Cooker Asian Pot Roast
1 four pound chuck roast
1 T garlic salt
1 T freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 T vegetable oil plus 1 tsp sesame oil
3 C water
3/4 C low sodium soy sauce (I used Tamari)
3 T white wine vinegar
1/4 C honey
1 T ground ginger
1 tsp celery seeds
2 tsp crushed red peppers
4 scallions, thinly sliced
one bunch carrots, peeled and sliced (and possibly some broccoli)
2 T cornstarch
1/4 C water
Toasted sesame seeds (next time)
- Combine the garlic salt, black pepper, and mustard powder and rub the roast with the mixture.
- Heat the oils in a large Dutch oven or the stove top safe insert of a slow cooker. (Not all slow cooker inserts are stove top safe. If yours is ceramic, don't use it on the stove top.)
- Brown the roast on all sides, about five minutes each side.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl or a 4 cup or larger measuring cup, combine the water, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger, celery seeds, crushed red peppers, and scallions, and pour the mixture over the roast.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for one hour, and low for 7 to 8 hours. I got a late start and cooked mine on high for 2 1/2 hours, and low on 4 hours.
- One hour before serving, quickly add the carrots and broccoli to the slow cooker and cover.
- When the roast is done, move it to a serving platter and cover with foil.
- Strain out the carrots and broccoli, place them in a bowl, and cover to keep warm.
- Stir the 1/4 C water and cornstarch together.
- Skim off the fat from the remaining liquid in the slow cooker.
- Place about 2 or 3 cups of the liquid into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about a minute or two.
- Slice the roast and serve over rice or noodles. Add the vegetables and ladle the gravy over the meat and rice/noodles.
- Garnish with sliced scallions and toasted sesame seeds.