This shortbread peppermint cookie is perfect for Christmas. While the ones I made here are simple rounds, you can roll out the dough and make it into any shape you like.
These cookies are flavored with white chocolate incorporated into the dough. Then they are brushed with a white chocolate glaze and sprinkled with crushed peppermint candy. I think I need to do a better job of crushing the candy. Either way, they are tasty.
Peppermint White Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
Recipe adapted from Small Batch Baking for Chocolate Lovers
2 ounces chopped white chocolate
1/2 C all purpose flour
1 T plus 1 tsp cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
3 1/2 T softened unsalted butter
3 T confectioner's sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp shortening
1/4 C crushed peppermint candies
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Microwave 1 ounce of the white chocolate for about a minute to melt. Stir and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, cornstarch, salt, and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- In a small deep bowl, add the butter, sugar, and vanilla, and mix with a hand mixer until whipped. Add the melted white chocolate.
- Add the flour and mix on low speed until blended.
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of waxed or plastic paper and pull it together. Roll it into a log and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Slice the log into 1/2 inch pieces and place them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Microwave the rest of the chocolate, add the shortening, and paint one side of each cookie with chocolate. Sprinkle with the candies.
- Cool and enjoy!
This post is part of 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Meal Planning Magic. Check out all of the treats listed below. If you’re a blogger and want to join in the hop, you can find more details and SIGN UP HERE.