Welcome to Day #6 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. Whether you are a Broncos fan or a Seahawks fan, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we dished up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoyed this fabulous group of recipes. Check out each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25. Today is our final day of #AppetizerWeek. We hope you have enjoyed it as much as we have! Should we make it an annual event? I think so!
Hoisin-glazed flank steak spirals. Beef appetizers aren't new (think meatballs), but I think these take the concept to a new level. Plus, vegetables are rolled up in there!
Hoisin sauce and Sriracha add a sweet hot flavor that make these pretty addicting. You may not have room for dinner.
Hoisin Glazed Flank Steak Spirals
Adapted from Best of Fine Cooking Appetizers, 2009. Makes enough for 8 to 10 guests as an appetizer.
1 pound flank steak
1/2 C hoisin sauce
2 tsp Sriracha
2 medium carrots, shredded and dried over a paper towel
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin 2 inch long strips
1 bunch of scallions, green part only, cut into 2 inch lengths
- Place a rack in your oven about 6 inches below the heating element, and preheat on broil.
- Thinly slice the steak on an angle, against the grain, to create thin pieces that are about 1/4 inch thick and 2 1/2 inches wide and as long as the width of the steak.
- Sprinkle the pieces with salt.
- Mix the hoisin and sriracha and brush on the steak pieces.
- Place the peppers and scallions alternatively widthwise over the pieces of steak and then sprinkle with the shredded carrots.
- Tightly roll up the pieces of steak lengthwise and secure with toothpicks.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Brush the tops of the rolled up flank steak with hoisin and place them on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Broil for about 4 to 8 minutes, depending on the thickness.
- Turn off the broiler and leave the baking sheet in the oven for another 3 minutes to fully cook the steak.
- Remove the original toothpicks and then insert 2 to 3 new toothpicks, evenly spaced, and slice the rolls to create bite sized pieces.
- Serve immediately.
Visit all the other Appetizer Week participants for more dishes for the Big Game:
- Farewell to Appetizer Week by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Farewell to Appetizer Week by Kiss My Smoke
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Kickin' Meatballs by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Vegan Creamy Spinach Dip by Je Suis Alimentageuse
- Salsa Cheesecake by Organized Island
- Jalapeno Cheddar Bites by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Parmesan and Dill Snack Crackers by From Gate to Plate
- Game Day Guacamole by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Spiced Popcorn by Wonky Wonderful
- Smoked Salmon Bites by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Queso Stuffed Padron Peppers over Romesco by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Hoisin Beef and Scallion Rolls by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Smoked Salmon Potato Stacks by Food Lust People Love
- Party Pinwheels by My Catholic Kitchen
- Parmesan Asparagus Phylo Spears by Makobi Scribe
- Black Bean Hummus by Home Cooking Memories
- Mini Beef Wellingtonsby Clarks Condensed
- PB & J Wings by Cooking In Stilettos
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dip by Mom's Test Kitchen
- Rosemary and Sea Salt Roasted Almonds by Try Anything Once Culinary
Today's giveaway is absolutely amazing. It is a huge cookbook giveaway, one winner takes ALL. We would like to thank Healthy Slow Cooking, Scarletta Bakes, Quarry Spoon and Fair Winds Press. We appreciate all our sponsors and folks who helped put together this fabulous giveaway. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. Sorry to all of our International friends.
List of cookbooks up for grabs for #AppetizerWeek, one winner takes ALL:
- Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just For You by Kathy Hester
- The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
- The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester
- The New Southwest: Classic Flavors with a Modern Twist by Meagan Micozzi
- Easy as Pie Pops: Small on Size and Huge on Flavor and Fun by Andrea Smetona
- Stuffed The Ultimate Comfort Food Cookbook: Taking Your Favorite Foods and Stuffing Them to Make New, Different and Delicious Meals by Dan Whalen
- Baking by Hand: Make the Best Artisanal Breads and Pastries Better Without a Mixer by Andy King
- Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans by Natalie Slater
- Stealth Health Lunches Kids Love: Irresistible and Nutritious Gluten-Free Sandwiches, Wraps and Other Easy Eats by Tracy Griffith
- Scoop Adventures: The Best Ice Cream of the 50 States: Make the Real Recipes from the Greatest Ice Cream Parlors in the Country by Lindsay Clendaniel
- Gluten-Free 101: The Essential Beginner's Guide to Easy Gluten-Free Cooking by Carol Fenster Vegan Food Gifts by Joni Marie Newman
- Whole Grain Vegan Baking by Celine Steen
- Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats From Around the World by Allyson Kramer
- The Flavorful Kitchen Cookbook by Molly Krause 500 Paleo Recipes by Dana Carpenter
- Paleo Sweets and Treats by Heather Connell
- Fire in my Belly by Kevin Gillespie
- Latin American Street Food by Sandra Gutierrez
- Eat your Vegetables by Joe Yonan
- Cooking Slow by Andy Schloss
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by sponsors. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***