This little lemon loaf is about as lemony as a lemon loaf can be. It's loaded with lemon zest and lemon juice. It also gets its yellow color enhanced by yellow corn meal.
This cake is so citrusy and refreshing. AND, I was able to use lemons from my very prolific Meyer lemon tree. Woo hoo!
I made this cake twice. First I made it with coarse cornmeal, but the grittiness of the cornmeal distracted me from the tastiness of the cake. The second time, I ground the cornmeal in my food processor. Much better (for me). If you like a "bite" to your lemon loaf, there is no need to grind the cornmeal.
This cake stays fresh and moist for a long time, and the lemon flavor is very pronounced. The cake is not overly sweet, so you can actually serve it for breakfast with jam. Cake for breakfast? I'm in!
The Avid Bakers Challenge for this month was to make this Lemon Loaf from Scientifically Sweet. Some of my Avid Baker pals glazed their loaves. Others dipped theirs in chocolate. Do check them out. They look seriously tasty.
Little Lemon Loaf
1 1/4 cups (5 1/3 ounces) all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal, left "as is" or finely ground in a food processor or blender
2 large room temperature eggs
1 large room temperature egg yolk
1 T lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 C granulated sugar
1/3 C vegetable oil
1/4 C lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 inch by 5 inch loaf pan with spray oil. Line it from side to side with parchment paper, with an overhang on each side. Spray the paper with spray oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and corn meal.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and egg yolk, lemon zest, and the salt on medium high for about a minute. Continue beating while gradually adding in the sugar. Increase the speed to high and beat for five minutes. The mixture will be very pale.
- Combine the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl or measuring cup and mix with a fork.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the mixer and fold it in.
- Add half of the oil/lemon juice mixture and fold the batter.
- Add the second third of the flour mixture and fold just until incorporated.
- Continue with the second half of the oil/lemon mixture and then the final third of the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 inch by 5 inch loaf pan, smooth the top, and bake for about 30 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.