Aren't these cute? They are also really good.... and they make you look so clever.
I think these would make a wonderful hostess or holiday gift. I love cookies and sweets, but don't you think these would be a welcomed savory treat? Look at all of the cute shapes!
The crackers are reminiscent of fish crackers, but much more buttery and cheesy.
I used these little jelly cutters to make these shapes. If you'd like to make mini goldfish, you can order this mini fish cookie cutter. I'm kind of tempted to buy it even though the price of one fish is nearly equal to the price of the jelly cutters. I have a problem.
Whole Wheat and Cheddar Mini Crackers
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen. She made the fish version and they are ridiculously cute. Makes about 100 crackers.
6 ounces of grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 T unsalted butter
2 1/2 ounces (1/2 C) whole wheat flour
1 1/8 ounces (1/4 C) unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
- Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and run it until the dough forms a ball. This should take about two minutes.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and position a rack in the middle.
- On a large piece of lightly floured wax paper or other flat surface such as wood, marble, or granite, use your hands to push the dough out into a rectangle, getting it as flat as you can. Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick with a floured rolling pin.
- Cut the dough into shapes and transfer them to an ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet, placing them about 1/2 inch apart. These are pretty tiny, so one sheet may be enough, but if you need two sheets, bake them one sheet at a time.
- Prick each shape once with a skewer, cake tester, or toothpick all of the way through.
- Bake the crackers for 12 to 15 minutes. Watch them closely after 12 minutes and remove them from the oven when they are just browned on the edges.
- Cool the crackers on the cookie sheet on a wire rack.
- Store in an air tight container.