These cheddar cayenne coins with ground walnuts are really a savory version of a butter cookie. They are crumbly and cheesy, and the cayenne adds just a hint of spiciness.
The part that hooks me is the cheddar. So good. It's cheese and a cracker baked together.
These savory crackers would be perfect with champagne or an aperitif. So elegant, right?
Cheddar Cayenne Crackers
Makes about 40 crackers; adapted from The Best of Fine Cooking Parties, 2009
6 oz all purpose flour
3 oz finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
4 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
1 large egg yolk
2 T water
1 1/2 ounces finely chopped walnuts
- In a food processor, combine the flour, cheddar, salt and cayenne and pulse a few times, until just mixed.
- Scatter the cold butter pieces over the flour/cheese mixture and pulse until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Mix the yolk and water together and then drizzle it into the food processor. Pulse until you get even-sized small moist crumbs.
- Add the nuts and pulse a few times.
- Dump the mixture out onto the counter and push it together with your hands.
- Use a bench knife or scraper to flatten and fold the dough over itself. As it comes together, roll it into a 14 inch log and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree and line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Slice the log into 1/4 inch disks and place them 1/2 inch apart on the parchment.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for plus or minus 18 minutes. Cool on the pan and then store in an airtight container.
Both the dough and the baked cookies can be frozen. Perfect for impromptu parties!
Visit all the other Appetizer Week Blogs for more Snack Time Deliciousness:
- Meatball Bites by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Gluten Free Onion Butter Pretzels by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Crawfish Dip by Call Me PMc
- Low-Carb Shrimp Guacamole by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Bourbon Pulled Pork Sliders by Cooking in Stilettos
- Sun-dried Tomato Dip by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sriracha Butternut Hummus by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Margherita Pizza Sticks by Makobi Scribe
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs by Flavor Mosaic
- Feta-Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes with Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
- Ham and Sauerkraut Balls by From Gate to Plate
- Cheddar Cayenne Crackers by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Baked Pickle Chips by Lemons for Lulu
- Cheddar Cheese Olive Puffs by Life Off the Clock
- Manchego and Roasted Pepper Stuffed Mushrooms by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Restaurant-Style Chipotle Salsa by Home Cooking Memories
- Mango Jalapeno Sausage Rolls by Food Done Light
- Ham & Cheese Mini Cracker Sandwiches by Mom's Test Kitchen
- Spicy Cheese Rounds by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Low Sodium Chicken Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers by Cookerati