This chocolate coconut ice cream with macadamia nuts not only contains shredded coconut, it also is made with coconut milk. With the macadamia nuts, it is simply decadent and rich. Because the recipe is not custard based, it is pretty foolproof too. If you don't like nuts in your ice cream (or if your kids don't like them), just leave them out. It's still amazing.
Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream with Macadamia Nuts
37 g (1/3 C) cocoa powder
1/3 C water
1/3 C sugar
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C whole milk, divided
1 T cornstarch
1 1/2 C heavy cream
1 1/4 C coconut milk
1/3 C sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 C unsweetened coconut
3/4 C chopped macadamia nuts
- In a small saucepan, combine the cocoa powder, water, and sugar and bring to boil, whisking constantly. Once it boils, remove it from the heat, and add the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for 2 minutes, and then whisk. Pour the mixture into a medium bowl, add the salt, whisk once again, and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 T of the milk with the cornstarch.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the cream, coconut milk, and sugar. Bring the mixture to a low boil and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture.
- Bring the mixture back to a simmer, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about a minute.
- Pour the mixture through a fine strainer into the bowl with the chocolate, and whisk.
- Place the bowl in the larger bowl with the ice water and chill for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 20 minutes, stir in the vanilla.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the mixture for at least 4 hours.
- Freeze the mixture according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
- Stir in the coconut and macadamia nuts and place the soft ice cream into a freezer proof container. Freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
This recipe is adapted from Scoop Adventures, a fabulous cookbook dedicated to the discovery of great ice cream across the United States.
Do you want to join the Chocolate Party?
1.) Blog about your chocolate treat. Your recipe must include the two ingredients we choose. This month, the ingredients are chocolate and coconut. It can be a simple no bake treat or a sophisticated layer cake, the complexity level of the recipe is totally up to you.
2.) Include a link back to the Chocolate party page. Optionally, add the Chocolate Party logo in your blog post or on your sidebar.
3.) Your recipe must be published during the current month. Please do not link old recipes, they will be deleted.