I am so excited about these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are so amazingly soft and cake-like, and get better over time. They're pretty much pumpkin pie in a cookie.... with chocolate chips.
They are easy to mix up, and come together in no time. They are fairly low in sugar, which makes them the perfect breakfast cookie. I offered some of these to my grandkids and they loved them. I also took a bunch of them to work, where they were a big hit. The pumpkin puree seriously adds to the softness and moistness of these cookies.
The Creative Cookie Exchange bakers are baking cookies this month with a pumpkin theme. I decided to go super simple with these chocolate chip cookies. After the recipe, check out the rest of the #CreativeCookieExchange bakers.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from King Arthur Flour, makes about 60 cookies
269 grams (2 1/4 cups) unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
106 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
99 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
425 grams (15 ounces) canned pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange oil, or the zest of one orange
400 grams (about 2 1/2 cups) semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars until blended. Add the pumpkin puree, eggs, and vanilla and beat until blended. Add the orange oil or zest, and briefly bead.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients while beating on low until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a 1 1/4 inch wide cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the cookie sheets. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for about 17 minutes. Let the cookies rest on the pan for about 5 minutes before cooking on a wire rack.
- Continue to bake sheets of the cookies until all cookies are baked.
- Store in an airtight container. They are actually better the next day.
The theme this month is Pumpkin! It is only October--you can’t possibly be tired of this glorious symbol of the fall harvest yet!
If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links. You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of our bloggers have made this month:
- Mexican Chocolate Pepita Shortbread Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Chip Cookies by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Stay at Home Mama
- Pumpkin Date Cookies by Upstate Ramblings
- Pumpkin Drop Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks by The Spiced Life
- Pumpkin Oatmeal with White Chocolate M&Ms by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin, Oats and Sunflower Seeds Cookies by ISingCakes & More
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies by 2Cookin' Mamas
- Pumpkin Spice Cut Out Cookies by A Baker's House
- Pumpkin Thumbprints by Flours & Frostings