Sometimes, cocktails are appropriate. At cocktail hour for example. They may not exactly work for breakfast. That's why you need Margarita Muffins! Do they contain tequila you ask?
Yes, they do! No worries about finding a designated driver because there's only about one teaspoon of tequila per muffin. I used tequila blanco, so the flavor is very faint. I bet that using Reposado or Anejo would up the tequila taste.
These muffins are airy and moist, and have a bright citrusy flavor. While most muffins include oil, I left it out of these to create an even lighter muffin.
In the spirit of margaritas, I topped each muffin with a tiny pinch of sea salt.
These muffins are mild and slightly citrusy. Do they taste like margaritas? Well... kind of, if you close your eyes and use your imagination. Nothing beats the real thing, right?
Regardless, they are still very tasty.
Margarita Sour Cream Muffins
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large room temperature egg
1/2 cup regular sour cream
1/2 cup tequila
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1/8 teaspoon lime oil (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
Coarse sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F with a rack in the middle.
- Line a 12 cavity muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, sour cream, tequila, orange juice, lime juice, lime oil, and lime zest together.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cavities.
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with a tiny pinch of sea salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from The Ultimate Muffin Book (Thank you Stacy)
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
- Banana Bread and Chocolate Muffins from Making Miracles
- Chocolate Chip Blood Orange Muffins from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Grilled Cherry Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Jamaican Me Hungry Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Margarita Sour Cream Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pancake Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Sweet Corn Muffins from Food Lust People Love