This twice baked sweet potato dish is perfect as a side to any roast. For a beautiful presentation, you can make them in the scooped out peels. I chose to make these in a casserole dish for more flexibility. You can also bake the potatoes in individual ramekins, as pictured above.
This is the perfect make-ahead side dish for a holiday dinner. Once you have baked the potatoes and mixed in the ingredients, you can cover and refrigerate the assembled dish, and then bake it while your roast is resting.
This is a savory sweet potato dish, and the thyme, shallot, and cheese flavors simply shine.
If you can't find Taleggio cheese, Fontina would make a good substitute.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Taleggio Cheese
Serves six to 12, depending on the number of sides you plan on serving
3 12 to 14 ounce sized sweet potatoes, washed
5 1/2 T unsalted room temperature butter, cut into pieces
1/2 C minced shallots
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 ounces Taleggio cheese, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork. Place them on the foil lined pan.
- Bake the potatoes for about an hour, until soft when you give them a squeeze.
- While the potatoes are baking, saute shallots in 1 1/2 T of the butter for about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the thyme, cook for one minute, and set aside.
- Scoop the potato from the skins into a bowl, add the butter, and mash them.
- Add the egg, shallots, cheese, salt, and pepper, and stir until combined.
- Let them cool for a few minutes. Scoop out the potatoes from the skins.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
Adapted from Ina Garten's Make It Ahead!