Want to have fresh rolls for dinner that require very little hands on time? If you mix up the dough before you go to bed, you can bake these in the morning, and, boom, you have fresh rolls. Just reheat them before dinner to have warm rolls. Your friends and family will be impressed. I promise.
These no knead rolls are based on the same concept as no knead bread. Mix flour, salt, water, and yeast with a spoon and let it sit at room temperature for a few hours, usually over night.
These rolls contain about 23% whole wheat, which. along with their random shapes, makes them seem more rustic. They are amazing warm with butter, and also are great for sandwiches when sliced in half.
You will need a flexible dough scraper or a large rubber spatula to remove the dough from the bowl. You will also need a bench scraper to divide the dough into eight pieces. A knife would work but you could damage your cutting surface. You will also need a sheet of parchment paper. A scale is really helpful and means less dishes because you measure right into the mixing bowl that sits on top of the scale.
Use your baking stone if you have one, but you can make these just fine on a parchment lined baking sheet.
No Knead Rustic Dinner Rolls
2 g instant yeast
300 g (1 1/5 C) filtered or bottled water (I weigh it right into the bowl.. no measuring cup needed)
200 g (1 1/2 C) bread flour
120 g (4/5 C) all purpose flour
72 g (1/2 C) whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt (table salt is fine)
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit overnight at room temperature. It should grow and get very bubbly.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 482 degrees F. Scrape the dough out onto a heavily floured work surface and fold the dough like a four sided envelope.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest for 45 minutes.
- Dust the surface with flour and cut it with a bench/dough scraper into eight pieces.
- Transfer the pieces by lifting them with your hands and the dough scraper onto a parchment lined baking sheet or parchment lined pizza peel (if you are using a stone).
- Place the baking sheet in the oven, or if you are using a baking stone, slide the parchment directly onto the stone.
- Bake at 482 degrees F for 15 minutes. Lover the temperature to 410 degrees F and bake another 5 to 10 minutes. The internal temperature should be around 200 degrees.